I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Day and where are my skates?

ENTWISTLE RESERVOIR: Turton, Bolton.
Fly Fishing Venue.

I started fishing Entwistle Reservoir back in the late 70's and early 80's and the 'first day' was always a highlight in my fishing calendar. After some years away, (work, life etc. etc.) I returned to the fold.
Monday the 1st March, and I was up and away to 'Enty', only to arrive at a skating rink. As with so many waters this winter/spring, the whole place was covered in an inch or more of ice!

Anyway, it was the first day, so I setup and headed for the top where a small stream runs into the reservoir, where I hoped I might find some clear water. Up at the top I met the secretary who told me no stocking had taken place yet, not exactly the news I wanted to hear.

I did find some areas where the ice hadn't taken hold and gave them a go for a few hours. And a few hours later, with no sign of a fish and not one pull on my line I called it a day.

I'm looking forward to a bit of milder weather and some ice-free water.

2 comments:

  1. hi alan just found your blog, quite interesting, and as iv`e just joined enty fly fishers found your experiance of the first day quite amusing. i chose not to go on the first, didn`t want to appear to keen, and incidentley have just come to enty after going to curleys for the last three years.
    i found that i could always catch at curleys but i must say i enjoy the experiance at the res. most enjoyable,except when the dogs arn`t barking their b*lls of at on an other
    look forward to reading your notes in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello daddypuss,
    I know what you mean about the dogs. Sometimes I think their owners think the place is a toilet. Even the owners that bag the mess usually just shove it in the walls.

    ReplyDelete